An
extreme coastal hazard that Germany faces is erosion. The German
coastline is mainly shallow and the sand along the coast is not as
compact as most other sandy coastlines. This poses a problem when there
are stormy waves because it causes the coastline's sand to slowly wash
away.
Germany revamped its efforts on protecting the coastline after a tsunami struck in 2004. Germany partnered with a hazard program ESCAP to provide better systems for warning of possible conditions that lead to coastline erosion. Because of these recent efforts, Germany has not experienced the severe coastal erosion that it had in the past
References:
Germany revamped its efforts on protecting the coastline after a tsunami struck in 2004. Germany partnered with a hazard program ESCAP to provide better systems for warning of possible conditions that lead to coastline erosion. Because of these recent efforts, Germany has not experienced the severe coastal erosion that it had in the past
References:
ttp://www.unescap.org/news/escap-and-germany-strengthen-partnership-early-warning-coastal-hazards

Kara, this is very interesting. I did not realize that 2/3 of the coast in Germany is eroding! That is huge...in particular for low level areas. I found the link below interesting to read. It shows sand nourishment and hard stabilization measures are bring implemented:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.climatechangepost.com/germany/coastal-erosion/
Kara, this is very interesting. I did not realize that 2/3 of the coast in Germany is eroding! That is huge...in particular for low level areas. I found the link below interesting to read. It shows sand nourishment and hard stabilization measures are bring implemented:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.climatechangepost.com/germany/coastal-erosion/
Thanks for this, Kara. I didn't realize that Germany had such an issue with coastal erosion. I think of Germany as being mainly land-locked, but it does have a large part of its north country bordered by the North and Baltic Seas. Thanks for reminding me!
ReplyDeleteThat is unbelievable that two thirds of the coast line is eroding. To think that the ocean is literally washing away the coast of Germany. Also I am very glad that the government is taking this very seriously and making a difference in the speed of erosion. Great Post!
ReplyDelete